Japanese Language Classes for Children Grades 1 through 8
JASL course (Japanese as a Second Language) is a program for non-native speaking children with little or no background in Japanese. Language and culture are introduced using both Japanese and English with textbooks, workbooks, worksheets, games, and activities. We focus on conversation practice, encouraging the students to speak a lot of Japanese in the class. Homework is assigned each week from one to several pages depending on the class level. Communication between teachers and the parents is generally done in English.
JASL students participate in school-wide activities such as Undoukai (Japanese field day), the holiday play, bake sale, and the used-book sale. We also hold special activities, such as a hands-on calligraphy lesson and the year-end speech contest.
* Basically, we will accept first 15 students in for each class. Maximum:15 students
** Textbook and workbooks will be available for purchase at the beginning of the school year.
*** A class may be canceled due to a small number of enrollment.
Progress *case1 (1)JASL1→JASL3→JASL4→JASL5 *case 2 (2)JASL2→JASL4→JASL5
For children going into 1st grade and up to 4th grade; for the younger beginner. In this class, students learn how to read and write the phonetic hiragana and katakana letters, as well as some basic kanji characters (Chinese character). The students learn how to introduce themselves, talk about family, simple daily activities, foods, etc. Each class day includes crafts and games, and cultural elements are also introduced.
• Textbook: Yasashii Nihongo, Introductory Japanese (red) and two workbooks (also red). ISBN 4-7919-6628-7 for the textbook.
For children in grades 4–8; for the older beginner. This class is similar to JASL1, but for an older cognitive level. Students learn how to read and write the phonetic hiragana and katakana letters, and some basic kanji characters (Chinese characters). The students learn how to talk about themselves, family, daily activities, foods, school life etc. The focus is on expressing one's likes and dislikes as well as some basic opinions. Each class day includes games and participation in cultural activities.
• Textbook: Adventures in Japanese, level 1 (4th Edition), ISBN : 978-1-62291-056-4, Hiragana-Katakana Workbook (Paperback), ISBN: 978-1-62291-057-1.
For children in grades 3–6; prerequisite JASL1. In this course, students will develop mastery of all phonetic hiragana and katakana letters, as well as learn approximately 100 kanji characters in multiple years. Complex sentences patterns are introduced, including adjectives, the past tense of verbs conjugation, and the ability to talk about future plans. Games and crafts are also included, as well as exposure to cultural elements.
• Textbook: Yasashii Nihongo, Elementary Japanese (yellow) and two workbooks (also yellow). ISBN 4-7919-6631-7 for the textbook, Yasashii Nihongo, Intermediate Japanese (blue) and a workbook (also blue). ISBN 4-7919-6636-8 for the textbook
For children in upper grades; prerequisite JASL2 or 3. In this course, students will learn more advanced kanji characters after a review of the hiragana and katakana phonetic letters. More complex sentence patterns will be introduced, including formal grammar and informal conversation style. Age-appropriate games and crafts are included, as well as exposure to cultural elements.
• Textbook: Adventures in Japanese 1 (4th Edition), ISBN : 978-1-62291-056-4, Hiragana-Katakana Workbook (Paperback), ISBN: 978-1-62291-057-1
For children in upper grades; prerequisite JASL4 or master Adventures in Japanese 1. The course provides advanced level of Japanese, including writing, making an essay, listening, speaking, reading, Kanji characters, discussion skills and presentation skills with communicative exercises, dialogues, and skit. Children will learn Japanese grammar/composition more logically and theoretically. The goal of this class is to develop one’s Japanese to much higher level.
• Textbook: Adventures in Japanese 2, textbook, 4th Edition, ISBN : 978-1-62291-066-3, Adventures in Japanese 2 Workbook, 4th Edition, ISBN : 978-1-62291-167-0
If you have any questions, please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org